Friday, 4 November 2011
04/11/2011 The Arsonists
We began the lesson with a few warm-up games to help us focus. We then performed the full chorus piece we had rehearsed. There is still a small lack of synchronisation in our group, but I believe that that will be fixed through further rehearsals. We then split into our smaller groups to practise our performances. We began with a read-through of the script where I established the characterisation of my character. I tried to show that Schmitz had a higher status than Biedermann by adopting a very confident and commanding voice. I did this because I noticed how Schmitz often ingratiates himself to Biedermann by saying he doesn't require much food or a bed, but then tells Biedermann and Anna to get him those things anyway. When we started blocking the scene, I adopted a high posture and a firm gait to further characterise Schmitz. When we first blocked through the scene, we felt it was too naturalistic. To make it more abstract, we added a part where the performer playing Anna comes in and performs various actions towards Biedermann which reflect Schmitz's monologue. She does this in a way which makes Biedermann her puppet. For example, on the line; "Don't make me laugh", she tickles Biedermann, making him laugh uncontrollably and unwillingly. On another monologue, we have her coming in and dousing Biedermann in petrol then trying to set light to him. These actions received praise when we performed it to the group, so we intend to continue developing them in the lessons. By next lesson I want to have learned most of my lines for Schmitz.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment