Today, we performed 'And' in front of an audience. A few hours, before we also performed a final dress rehearsal. I got some feedback from my tutors afterwards. They said that I had caputured Aaron's persona very well vocally, showing Aaron's charismatic nature as well as his indecisiveness. They said that I needed to improve my physical characterisation of Aaron in ways such as my posture and movement. I decided to practise this in the time between the dress rehearsal and the acual performance in hope that I would improve enough to improve my grade.
When I performed the piece, I was trying to be constantly aware of my posture to ensure that I was always poignant when it suited my character. I decided that at the moments when Aaron becomes less confident in himself, I could drop my posture slightly. Overall, during the performance, I believe that I had improved my physicality since the dress rehearsal. I also concentrated on making sure that every word I said was clear and distinct as much of the play relies on the audience understanding exactly what Aaron is explaining. I had also practised with the speed of my speech, speaking faster when I thought it suited Aaron's characterisation, for example, when he is excited by the thoughts of billions of unique, unconnected events happening simultaneously. Another thing I believe I did well was listen to the other characters. Even though they never interact with me, I interact with them later, which means that Aaron has to develop some sort of understanding of their character. So when I am sat down, listening to their situations, I am listening to their every word and forming an opinion on how I would treat them if I ever met them. I am also assessing the differences between how I would treat them, for example, I would treat the girl worried about the shrinking of chocolate bars with little respect, but I would treat the boy with the dying father with much greater respect for how he is dealing with it.
One area of the play which I believe still needed work, was the naturalistic ending sequence. We had rehearsed that section very little and Hanna was very unsure of her lines. I don't think this scene looked natural, which may have reduced the tension built up by the previous scenes.
No comments:
Post a Comment